Soggy outfield rules out play in Inter-county cricket competition
Guyana Chronicle article.
Georgetown, Guyana - There was no play on the scheduled opening day of the final round of matches in the Guyana Cricket Board organised Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company/Hand-in-Hand jointly sponsored four day tournament yesterday due to overnight and rain yesterday morning.
Berbice, who have 18 points following their 10 wicket victory over defending champions Demerara in the last round and first innings win over President’s XI, was scheduled to take on the pointless Essequibo at the Everest Cricket Club.
Across at the Uitvlugt Community Centre ground, the second placed President’s XI who are on 15 points, were down to face Demerara (12 points) in a game, which will not change the position at the top, unless Berbice loses to Essequibo or if there is no play at Everest and Demerara loses the contest outright.
However, the outfields at both venues were left in a soggy condition from the rains, forcing the officials to call off play for the day, despite the absence of the teams.
In an invited comment with Chronicle Sport, Secretary of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) Anand Sanasie said once play gets underway, the Competitions Committee of the GCB will look at the possibility of replaying the lost day or days.
“Once we start, we will see how it goes and if possible add on the extra days where applicable. When we look at the matches that have been played so far, only one, the first round game between Berbice and President’s XI reached the fourth day and this was because of the first day being washed out.
Having said that, none of the other games have reached the fourth day, so once we are able to get in play (hopefully by Tuesday at both venues) once the weather holds, we will look at the matches and add on the days that would have been lost, since it is our aim to have four full days of cricket” said Sanasie.
Sanasie said the GCB Competitions Committee will be looking at the possibility of having all games played and completed.
“We need to play all the games, as there is a cost factor and timeline which we are working with. One of the timelines has to do with the submission of the team for the Regional four day championships to the WICB. So in going forward, a much better decision would be made as it relates to the days lost to the weather for this final round” stated Sanasie.