Pollard, Narine, Bravo uncertain for T20
PORT-OF-SPAIN - Cricket officials in Trinidad and Tobago have given mixed signals over the availability of leading players Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine and Dwayne Bravo for next year’s Caribbean T20 tournament.
Media reports in Port of Spain have suggested a measure of uncertainty over the players available to help Trinidad and Tobago defend their title when the tournament takes place January 6-21.
Pollard and Bravo have declined to confirm their participation when contacted by Trinidad’s Newsday, the paper reported.
Narine, currently attending a West Indies camp in Barbados, has not been available for comment.
“Previously, before he left for the World Cup, Pollard had indicated to me that he will make himself available. I haven’t spoken to him since then (about it) and I didn’t get to talk to Sunil (yet)” said Azim Bassarath, president, Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB)
“Kieron had said, however, that in the contract he had signed, there was a space left for the Caribbean T20. It is more than likely that they will be representing TT — Pollard, Narine and Bravo”.
Pollard has been signed by the Adelaide strikers while Narine has been snapped up by the Sydney Sixers for the Australian Big Bash which runs from December 7 to January 19.
Dwayne Bravo, who last played for the sixers, is uncertain since he is currently recovering from an injury.
“I can’t say with any certainty (whether they will be playing for TT) right now”said TTCB Communications Manager, Suruj Ragoonath.
“We should be finding out within the course of this week”.
In 2011, Pollard and Dwayne Bravo missed the regional tournament after opting to play the entire Big Bash tournament.
But earlier this year, both players represented Trinidad and Tobago in the WICB tournament as the Red Force successfully defended its regional crown.