Lloyd writes Ramotar over GCB activity
GOERGETOWN, Guyana – Head of the controversial Interim Management Committee, Clive Lloyd has asked for the intervention of Guyana’s President Donald Ramotar over what he says is the continued activity of Guyana Cricket Board officials in domestic affairs.
A court ruling last February barred the GCB from participating in cricket administration here, with the government-run IMC taking over the role.
This week, however, GCB secretary Anand Sanasie told the Trinidad Express newspaper trial matches would be held this weekend to select a national team for the Caribbean Twenty20 in January.
Lloyd, the legendary former West Indies captain, said an urgent resolution needed to be found.
“I have decided to write His Excellency, outlining the situation here,” the Guyana Times quoted Lloyd as saying.
“The situation now is definitely out of control and something has to be done quickly to have it resolved. You can’t have a group of people served with an injunction and they continue to perform.”
Last week, the West Indies Cricket Board said Guyana’s cricket authorities had missed the November 22 deadline for submission of teams for the CT20, and raised concern about the length of time it had taken to resolve the dispute.
The WICB, the regional governing body for the game, says it recognises the GCB as the legitimate body to run cricket affairs in Guyana.
“The Board further implores all parties involved to use their best endeavours to ensure that the situation with regard to cricket in Guyana returns to a level of acceptability in the shortest possible period,” a WICB statement said.
The International Cricket Council has also thrown their support behind the GCB and the WICB in the matter.