Guyana to choose T20 squad
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Guyana will select a squad for the Caribbean Twenty20 on Monday, ending speculation over the country’s involvement in the region’s premier T20 championship.
The Trinidad Express newspaper has reported that trial matches will be held at the weekend after which a squad will be chosen for the January 6-20 tournament in Trinidad and St Lucia.
The West Indies Cricket Board raised concern last week after Guyana’s cricket authorities missed the November 22 deadline for submission of teams.
Guyana’s cricket has been embroiled in a bitter dispute that has seen the Guyana Cricket Board and the government-run Interim Management Committee, battling for control of the game’s administration.
A court ruling earlier this year barred the GCB from carrying out the duties as administrators, with the IMC headed by Windies legend Clive Lloyd, assuming responsibilities.
Despite this, the GCB has continued to act in some capacity and their spokesman Anand Sanasie said it was legal matters that had held up the selection of the team.
“We were skeptical about selecting a team [with the pending court matter] so we sought legal advice about it and now we have taken a decision that we will be sending a team,” Sanasie told the Express.
“We are trying our best. We are actually putting something in place at the moment to have some trial matches on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and we are hoping to have a team selected by Monday.”
He added: “I had some consultation with Minister of Sport (Dr Frank Anthony), and we are trying to chart a way forward. We (the GCB) will definitely be sending a team, barring any further court rulings.”
The WICB has condemned the IMC’s takeover of cricket administration and has reiterated its support for the embattled GCB. As a result, all games during this year’s first class championship were shifted from the National Stadium at Providence.
Last week, the Board said it continued to be concerned about the length of time it was taking for the matter to be resolved.
“The Board further implores all parties involved to use their best endeavours to ensure that the situation with regard to cricket in Guyana returns to a level of acceptability in the shortest possible period,” a WICB statement said.
Coming out of a meeting of CARICOM’s Prime Ministerial sub-committee on cricket last September, Barbados Prime Minister Freundel Stuart was appointed to mediate the conflict.