Guyana, Barbados to be played
ST JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC – Guyana’s fifth round Regional Four-Day clash with Barbados starting Friday will go ahead as planned, the West Indies Cricket Board confirmed Tuesday.
Recent media reports out of Guyana had cast doubt on the fixture as the impasse between the Guyana Cricket Board and the government-run Interim Management Committee intensified last week with the resignation of GCB president Ramsey Ali.
On Tuesday, the entire GCB executive committee resigned further heightening tensions in the cricket fraternity.
However, the WICB said the match would “proceed as scheduled” and confirmed that the Guyana squad would travel to Barbados as planned on Wednesday.
There has been only one change to the squad, with veteran left-hander Shiv Chanderpaul replacing leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo who is on West Indies duty.
Last weekend, media reports from Guyana said that only five players turned up for Saturday for the start of a three-day training camp.
The IMC has taken over the running Guyana cricket, drawing condemnation from the WICB and cricket’s world governing body, the International Cricket Council.