Barath ready if called upon
KOLKATA, India, CMC – Adrian Barath says he is recovered from the hamstring injury that sidelined him for the two Tests against Bangladesh last month and is keen on resuming his place at the top of the order in the second Test against India at Eden Garden starting here Monday.
The talented 21-year-old has struggled with injury over the last year and has played just seven Tests since making a spectacular debut two years ago with a hundred against Australia.
“I feel match-fit and I’m eager to play against India. I have worked hard to make a recovery and I want to thank the support staff for the work they have done with me to reach this point,” said the right-hander, who also missed the first Test in Delhi West Indies lost by five wickets.
“I have been doing a lot of (fitness and recovery) work and I have also been spending a lot of time in the nets. If I am selected for the upcoming matches I plan to put my head down and look to get big scores for the team.”
Barath last played in the opening One-Day International of the three-match series against Bangladesh before being ruled out for the last two matches.
His last Test was against India in the Caribbean back in July when he failed with 12 and six, in the drawn third Test in Dominica.
He said the time away from the middle had given him the opportunity to analyse the opposition bowling.
“I spent the first Test on the sidelines and I was happy to support the boys as they pushed for a win,” said Barath.
“It didn’t work out but we played some good cricket in Delhi and we are confident as we prepare for the next game. I watched closely from the sidelines and I had a good look at the Indian bowlers.
“I have also been spending a lot of time looking at footage to see what’s happening with the ball and what the bowlers are doing.”
Barath joined the Windies in a full training session on Saturday, with the side expected to undergo another full work out on Sunday ahead of Monday’s start of the second Test.